Kwesi 章英狮's Reviews > Surprised by Oxford

it was ok
bookshelves: e-book, carolyn-weber, 2011
Recommended to Kwesi 章英狮 by: BookSneeze
Read from November 29 to 30, 2011

There are times that a person will ask for his faith to God. Asking God's existence, the problem's that he is currently into, or why God did not stop evilness in the world. A normal person can't answer why God created everyone equal and why evil lurks in the earth. Maybe soon, we will be like Carolyn Weber, the girl who meets God in Oxford and how her life change.

Surprised by Oxford by Carolyn Weber, is a four-hundred-page full of questions and answers about God. Ways on how she manages to overcome her own problems and created a life full of wisdom. Like anyone of us, Carolyn Weber also experiences a life without God but there is a right time and a right place to discover love.

Carolyn Weber went to Oxford to attend college. Bringing her religious doubt and loving broken family memories. She became one of those students who met a person or people and change her life. Step by step, the darkness that surrounds her become more visible and the picture can now be seen, her future that embarrasses God fully in the end of her journey; professor, colleagues, family, books and friends that will cherish her questions with true answer from God's people.

It's hard to judge a book especially if the book talks about its religious journey in life. Everyone have its own interpretation of each passages, how to overcome it, her own point of view in life and anything under the sun. But the most interesting part of the book is when Carolyn Weber asked herself is God is a woman. This kind of issue also appears in The Shack written by William P. Young. Issues like this are usually discussed in Theology subjects and one of the interesting debates that you might join in.

Life is a cycle and sometimes we stumble in the middle of process, God lifts us and everything will change our life forever. How far can our faith reach or how far can our understanding answer every question we ask every day. The answer only lies in the Bible, the most creative non-fiction ever writing according to Carolyn Weber. I wish I can study to Oxford someday.

Special thanks to BookSneeze and to the publisher for sharing a free copy of the book.

Review posted on Old-Fashioned Reader .

Rating: Surprised by Oxford: A Memoir by Carolyn Weber, 2 Sweets

Challenges:
Book #331 for 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Surprised by Oxford.

03/21/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Petra Eggs (new)

Petra Eggs My Kwesi fix! I've been missing your reviews.

Kwesi 章英狮 I'm busy working with school requirements. Haha. I'll be back soon, maybe this coming Christmas break.

message 3: by Hark Herald (new) - added it

Hark Herald Sarmiento is there an available copy of this book in NBS? thanks in advance. :D
--Harkki

Kwesi 章英狮 Hi Hark, sad to say but the book is not available in NBS but try to order it through fyllybooked by contacting Lucy in twitter or ask the nearest fullybooked store.

message 5: by Hark Herald (new) - added it

Hark Herald Sarmiento Sure. Thanks Kwesi. :D

Kwesi 章英狮 You're welcome.

Caroline Niziol Why did you give a book that (I think?) you enjoyed only 2/5 stars?