Kat's Reviews > On the Edge

On the Edge by Ilona Andrews

Apr 20, 12

bookshelves: 2012, fantasy, favorites, urban-fantasy, romantical
Read from April 14 to 20, 2012

Basic Plot: Rose is barely getting by in the Edge (the space between the Weird and the Broken dimensions) until an evil man pursued by a mysterious blueblood come into the picture.

Boy, these one-sentence plot summaries are difficult sometimes.

What a ride... This book sucked me in completely, almost from page one. The pacing was fast, and I never wanted to put the book down because something new and exciting was always happening. I absolutely loved the characters and the way they were described. Each one had a clear look and personality in my mind, and they were always consistently portrayed. More than that, they were interesting and unique. The whole world/concept of the book was unique: a fringe dimension (the Edge) where people live between our world (the Broken) and a magical world (the Weird). The problems the Edgers face are believable in terms of our world. How would a person work and support a family if one were born where there are no Social Security numbers, yet they still technically live in the USA? How would one deal with problems if there were no real law enforcement? These are issues the character Rose has to deal with.

I liked the slow reveal of the plot and the way it intertwined with Rose's interactions with Declan, the love interest/hero. I often rage about romances and how inane the plots are, sacrificing story for excuses to get characters into bed. This book was a good example of how a story can have romance and be sexy without sacrificing the absolutely vital element of PLOT.

Long story short, I loved it and already have the next two books in the series checked out from the library. I look forward to devouring them in short order. I'm amazed at how quickly Ilona Andrews leaped into my favorite authors list, and I hope their work keeps going strong for a long time.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Edge.

04/19/2012 page 51
17.0% "I think I have the hots for Declan."
04/19/2012 page 75
24.0% "Completely sucked in..."