Christi Snow's Reviews > Chosen by Fate

Chosen by Fate by Virna DePaul

Oct 21, 2011

Read on October 19, 2011

My Review:
This book was much more romance based than the first book. While I loved that in the aspect that this is a gorgeous romance, I really missed the full team aspect of the first book. In fact, Knox & Felicia hardly even make an appearance in this book and the overall feel of the book suffered because of that, in my opinion.

What did work for this book, though, was the incredible romance between Wraith & Caleb...wow, it was sizzling!!

As a wraith, Wraith cannot be touched without pain, which makes a relationship really difficult, if not impossible. Add to that, Caleb is a healer. His whole goal in life is to help, NOT hurt. He mentally cannot handle the anguish of knowing that any touch he shares with Wraith hurts her, even if there is some pleasure too. Oh, and yes, there is the added difficulty that wraiths never live to see their 11th year, which means that Wraith is really dying. She is seeing all the signs that this is happening sooner rather than later so she is looking at her last chance to enjoy some time with Caleb.

Wraith is not an easy person. She has built up these walls around her over the last 10 years of her life that are incredibly hard to penetrate, but Caleb is just the guy for the job. He is so persistent and caring with her. It's really gorgeous the way that he handles her, both physically and mentally. He is such an amazing guy. I definitely fell in love with his character!! It's a beautiful, emotional love story and I really truly enjoyed it!

In this book, the team is dealing with a threat towards the felines where the females are being drugged and raped. Because Knox & Felicia just got married, they are not participating in this mission. That leaves the other four: Wraith, Caleb, Dex, & Lucy to carry out the mission. The nature of the mission means that they aren't really working as a group much. As a reader, what you see instead is a lot of alone time between Wraith & Caleb and then to a lesser degree, Dex & Lucy. I enjoyed those moments, but missed the team dynamic in this book. There is a really interesting side story between Dex & Lucy and it will be interesting to see how much that story comes into play in the next book which is about Dex.

While I missed some of the aspects that were so good about the first novel, this is still an amazing read. I thoroughly enjoyed it!! It absolutely would have scored a solid "A" for me (instead of the A- that I gave it) until the final 10 pages of the book, when the conclusion just seemed a little lacking or too easy and there was a clue that this team is dissolving even further...such a disappointment to me.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chosen by Fate.