Erin Bowman's Reviews > Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by April Genevieve Tucholke

Jan 01, 12

bookshelves: horror, young-adult, thriller, series-read-thru
Read in December, 2011

I love this book. Love, love, love. I've been fortunate enough to read it several times over and I somehow manage to fall a bit further in love with each read.

Violet is such a captivating protagonist, and the cast of characters that populate this novel are just as charming. I fell in love with each of them and saying goodbye to them at the close of the story hurt. Violet is a bookworm, and spunky, and says it like it is. Her brother is bit of a jerk, but I love him anyway. And River, the mysterious stranger that Violet lets board at her family's crumbling estate? He is deliciously mysterious and dark and up to no good. I love him even when I know I shouldn't.

Characters aside, though, this novel is haunting. The setting is rich and the writing is gorgeous. The happenings in Violet's town are disturbing, and in many cases, downright creepy. Look-over-your-shoulder creepy. Read-with-the-lights-on creepy. Jump-at-odd-noises creepy.

This book is so unique. I'd say more, but it's far too early and I don't want to spoil things. I highly recommend picking up a copy come 2013. (And keeping the light on while you read.)

Note: I read an early version of this manuscript, hence the review long before publication.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Anni how did you already get this book?

message 2: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin Bowman Anni wrote: "how did you already get this book?"

The author and I are critique partners! I probably should have specified this in my review, huh? ;)

Anni Cool! :P

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Would you say this is a horror novel?

message 5: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin Bowman Rachel wrote: "Would you say this is a horror novel?"

Yes, but to be upfront, I don't read a ton of horror. That being said, I do know the book was pitched as Stephen King meets IMAGINARY GIRLS, so hopefully that helps answer your question a bit, too :)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

message 7: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin Bowman Rachel wrote: "Thanks, Erin. It does! :-) I don't read a lot of horror either. It spooks me too much ;)"

Same here. I'm a big wimp. ;)

John Hansen Read the query on YA Highway. This one looks interesting!

♡Tinja♡ how's the romance in it?:)