Juliana's Reviews > Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

Quiet by Susan Cain

Jan 13, 12

bookshelves: psychology-and-counseling, social-life-and-customs, society, net-galley, advance-reading-copy-or-galley, ebook-digital-copy, 2012-jan-reads, 2012-reads
Recommended for: everyone, introverts and extroverts alike, but ESPECIALLY the former
Read from October 26, 2011 to January 13, 2012, read count: 1

"Our culture made a virtue of living only as extroverts. We discouraged the inner journey, the quest for a center. So we lost our center and have to find it again."
---Anais Nin

4 or 4.5 stars

Loved this book! Was a very empowering and insightful experience reading it and identifying myself in so much of what Cain writes about.

Full review to come!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quiet.

10/26/2011 page 3
1.0% ""Yet today we make room for a remarkably narrow range of personality styles. We're told that to be great is to be bold, to be happy is to be sociable. We see ourselves as a nation of extroverts - which means that we've lost sight of who we really are.""
10/26/2011 page 4
1.0% ""We live with a value system that I call the Extrovert Ideal - the omnipresent belief that the ideal self is gregarious, alpha, and comfortable in the spotlight. The archetypal extrovert prefers action to contemplation, risk-taking to caretaking, certainty to doubt. He favors quick decisions, even at the risk of being wrong. She works well in teams, socializes in groups, and measures success in numbers of [cont'd]"" 6 comments
10/26/2011 page 4
1.0% ""We like to think that we value individuality, but mostly we admire one type of individual - the kind who's comfortable 'putting himself out there.'""
10/26/2011 page 4
1.0% ""Introversion - along with its cousins sensitivity, seriousness, and shyness - is now a second-class personality trait, somewhere between a disappointment and a pathology.""
10/26/2011 page 13
4.0% "Lol, love #16. So true."
10/27/2011 page 21
7.0% "Culture of Character vs. Culture of Personality"
10/27/2011 page 39
12.0% "'But I'm not an extrovert, you say!' he told us at the start of the seminar. 'So? You don't have to be am extrovert to feel alive!' True enough. But it seems, according to Tony, that you'd better act like one if you don't want to flub the sales call and watch your family die like pigs in hell."
10/27/2011 page 52
16.0% "Study out of UC Berkeley showed television pundits "make worse predictions about political and economic trends than they would by random chance. And the very worst prognosticators tend to be the most famous and the most confident." ... Why am I not surprised?"
10/28/2011 page 75
23.0% ""If this is true - if solitude is an important key to creativity - then we might all want to develop a taste for it. We'd want to teach our kids to work independently. We'd want to give employees plenty of privacy and autonomy. Yet increasingly we do just the opposite.""
10/29/2011 page 115
36.0% "Really enjoying this book. Very interesting."
11/01/2011 page 117
37.0% ""The footprint of a high- or low-reactive temperament never disappeared in adulthood. Some high-reactives grew into socially fluid teenagers who were not outwardly rattled by novelty, but they never shed their genetic inheritance. Schwartz's research suggests something important: we can stretch our personalities, but only up to a point. Our inborn temperaments influence is, regardless of the lives [cont'd]"" 1 comment
11/01/2011 page 118
37.0% ""Free will can take us far, suggests Dr Schwartz's research, but it cannot carry us infinitely beyond our genetic limits. ... We might call this the 'rubber band theory' of personality. We are like rubber bands at rest. We are elastic and can stretch ourselves, but only so far.""
11/06/2011 page 150
47.0% ""Congress, he could have safely assumed, is made up of some of the least sensitive people in the country - people who, if they'd been kids in one of Kagan's experiments, would have barreled fearlessly into strange rooms, marching up to oddly attired clowns and strange ladies wearing gas masks without so much as a backward glance at their mothers. Remember, Kagan's introverted Tom and extroverted Ralph? ..." [cntd']" 1 comment
01/13/2012 page 159
45.0% ""some scientists are starting to explore the idea that reward-sensitivity is not only an interesting feature of extroversion; it is what makes an extrovert an extrovert. Extroverts, in other words, are characterized by their tendency to seek rewards, from top dog status to sexual highs to cold cash. They've been found to have greater economic, political, and hedonistic ambitions than introverts; ...""
01/13/2012 page 159
45.0% ""Extroverts tend to experience more joy and excitement than introverts do ..." - hmmm, the second one makes sense but I don't know about the first; might be just more of a quiet joy"
01/13/2012 page 162
46.0% ""This blindness to danger may explain why extroverts are more likely than introverts to be killed while driving, be hospitalized as a result of accident or injury, smoke, have risky sex, participate in high-risk sports, have affairs, and remarry often.""
01/13/2012 page 162
46.0% ""In the wake of the 2008 crash, a financial catastrophe caused in part by uncalculated risk-taking and blindness to threat, it became fashionable to speculate whether we'd have been better off with more women and fewer men --- or less testosterone --- on Wall Street. But maybe we should also ask what might have happened with a few more introverts at the helm --- and a lot less dopamine.""
01/13/2012 page 162
46.0% "bookmark (Boykin Curry on global financial crash and risk-takers being the ones promoted to the top and controlling all the capital)"
01/13/2012 page 165
47.0% ""'I would say, 'Your portfolio will implode if this specific situation happens.' And the trader would start yelling at me and telling me I'm an idiot, that such a situation would never happen. The problem is that, on one side, you have a rainmaker who is making lots of money for the company and is treated like a superstar, and on the other side you have an introverted nerd. So who do you think wins?'""
01/13/2012 page 168
48.0% ""Introverts and extroverts also direct their attention differently: if you leave them to their own devices, the introverts tend to sit around wondering about things, imagining things, recalling events from their past, and making plans for the future. The extroverts are more likely to focus on what's happening around them. It's as if extroverts are seeing 'what is' while their introverted peers are asking 'what if.'"" 3 comments
01/13/2012 page 169
48.0% ""we need to find a balance between action and reflection""
01/13/2012 page 226
64.0% "bookmark (fascinating study, introverts compared to extroverts, two different football team setups with one focusing on competition, the other on cooperation)"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ruth (new) - added it

Ruth I have got to read this!!

Juliana I'm really enjoying it so far, Ruth. It's sooo interesting. I was excited as soon as I saw the subtitle, but it's also a very readable book and not at all "dry." Got it from NetGalley! *hint hint*