Anne's Reviews > Slapstick, or Lonesome No More!

Slapstick, or Lonesome No More! by Kurt Vonnegut

Oct 21, 2011

Read from October 21 to 31, 2011

" ...Eliza and I composed a precocious critique of the Constitution of the united States of America, too. We argued that it was as good a scheme for misery as any, since its success in keeping the common people reasonably happy and proud depended on the strength of the people themselves - and yet it described no practical machinery which would tend to make the people, as opposed to their elected representavies, strong.
We said it was possible that the framers of the Constitution were blind to the beauty of persons who were without great wealth or powerful friends or public office, but who were nonetheless genuinely strong.
We thought it was more likely, though that the framers had not noticed that it was natural, and therefor almost inevitable, that human beings in extraordinary and enduring situations should think of themselves as composing new families. Eliza and I pointed out that this happened no less in democracies than in tyrranies, since human beings were the same wide world over, and civilized only yesterday.
Elected representatives, hence, could be expected to become members of the famous and powerful family of elected representatives - which would, perfecgtly naturally, make them wary and squeamish and stingy with respect to all the other sorts of families which, again, perfectly naturally, subdivided mankind."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slapstick, or Lonesome No More!.