Sarah's Reviews > Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling

642041
Jan 22, 12

bookshelves: memoir
Read from January 21 to 22, 2012

This is going to sound like a backhanded compliment when I say that I was surprised to find this book funnier than Tina Fey's Bossypants. Okay, it's a bit of a false comparison in any case. The only reason I'm comparing them is because they are both smart and funny female comedy writers who managed to turn their writing gigs into acting gigs as well. I think they're both hilarious. Kaling has the advantage of slightly lower expectations, since I'm not as familiar with her comedic voice; I know Kelly Kapoor's voice on the Office, but after the first few chapters, that slipped out of my mind. Incidentally, those first chapters about Kaling's childhood are the weakest; call it the Sloane Crossley rule. I don't think there is enough to mine in a middle class eighties/nineties upbringing. She's much stronger in the other pieces. She does a good job of mixing biography and comedic insight, but a better job of applying that insight to her adult life. All in all, an entertaining and quick read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?.