Andrew's Reviews > Her Fearful Symmetry

Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger

1935343
Oct 21, 2011

Read from October 21 to November 10, 2011

Similar to The Time Traveller's Wife (a brilliant utterly heartbreaking book - although beware the movie which got me so angry!), Her Fearful Symmetry is a good read providing you enjoy a certain type of character. The book is filled with the upper middle class: those who work, but who don't really work or perhaps even need to work, and who live fairly simple academic lives pursing the things that they enjoy the most. If only each of us were lucky enough to live that way! My bias against this kind of character aside, once I entered the book I was pulled along at a terrific pace into the relationships and darkness at the heart of the novel. There are a couple of major shifts in the plot - one needs to suspend disbelief at the other character's reactions, and in one case just have to 'go with it' as any logical argument would fall flat on its face - but accepting these as plot devices and moving on doesn't detract too much from the read. I cried once - unexpectedly. As an examination of moral codes, of 'what would I have done', and as a good yarn this book succeeds despite itself. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Her Fearful Symmetry.