Nene La Beet's Reviews > The Lincoln Lawyer

The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly

Oct 21, 11

bookshelves: crime-fiction, fiction, usa
Read in October, 2011

I bought this for my husband who desperately needed a good read to take his mind off stress at work and flying with Easyjet. However, as he started on another one, I couldn't resist starting on this one, it being holiday'ish and all. I didn't regret it, because Connelly is always worth a read. I have more or less stopped reading crime fiction, because I generally find there's not enough sustenance in them, but when I do, I often return to Connelly. And why? Because he is a master of what he sets out to do. His characters are credible and very human, his description of what goes on in the judicial system and specifically in the procecutors office seems very accurate and the way he unrolls the plot and uses subtle tricks in the narration to keep up the tension is just so elegant.

He uncovers the flaws of a judicial system that's based on people who are elected to their offices. Always makes me very happy to live in Europe, that does!

If I had a say in such matters, I'd introduce Connelly on writer's courses, to show studens how you move a plot along in a smooth and subtle way, without ever giving away too much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lincoln Lawyer.