Chantaal's Reviews > Lola and the Boy Next Door

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

Jan 18, 12

bookshelves: popcorn, romance, young-adult, contemporary
Read from January 16 to 17, 2012

Review also posted at The Wandering Fangirl.

I really loved Anna and the French Kiss, Stephanie Perkins's debut, so when I heard of Lola, it immediately went in my to read list. It's hard not to compare Lola to Anna (St. Clair and Anna even show up in this one as secondary characters, and yay, their love!), so I'll get this out of the way first: Lola is just as fun, but I enjoyed Anna more. (And I think it's kinda telling, to see why people enjoy one over the other.) But Lola and the French Kiss has a style and flair all its own, owing to Lola Nolan and her ever changing fashion, quirky love-crush Cricket, and the genuine teen anguish she goes through. What works here is that it Lola doesn't just start liking Cricket when she's still with her current boyfriend, punk rocker Max, but she's always liked him. That her feelings are established and thus get all churned up when Cricket comes back keep it from being shallow. Plus, she's got two gay dads, an awesome best friend, lives in San Francisco and works on a full on Marie Antoinette dress for a school dance. Lola might be a little too quirky for me in real life, but in print she's great, and so is this novel. Yay for good YA chick lit!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lola and the Boy Next Door.

01/16/2012 page 56
17.0% "So glad I finally started this, I needed a break from all the paranormal I was reading."
01/17/2012 page 160
47.0% "Lola, you are one confused little girl."