Marulett's Reviews > When the Sea is Rising Red

When the Sea is Rising Red by Cat Hellisen

Mar 12, 12

bookshelves: vamps, urban-fantasy, favorites, kick-ass-heroines, dystopian
Read from March 11 to 12, 2012

I don´t know how but the author managed to write a sagas worth material in only one book.

Felicita´s world falls apart when her brother breaks the news that her best friend Ilven had committed suicide. So she decides to start living her life the way she wants and not the way everyone expects her to, if she does she fears her life will end the same way as Ilven´s.

She wants to run away from her already planned life and in order to do that she needs to fake her death. She just leaves a pair of boots and a shawl by the cliff where her best friend took her own life for everyone to put pieces together.

She leaves everything behind, even her true self without scriv she can´t perform magic. She changes her looks and starts working in a tea shop cleaning dishes, something she never had to do in her previous life where everything was handed in a silver platter.

We witness how Felicita grows and learns how to stand up for herself, she thinks every now and then of running back to her mother but the shame and humiliation that would entail make her change her mind constantly.

She finds a true friend in Jannik, a mysterious vamp, who admires her courage to leave her life behind and he wishes to do the same. In Dash she finds love, but not everything is at it seems.

If I keep writing I think I´ll give too much away and really don´t want to spoil anything.

I found the book intriguing, fast paced and once I turned the last page it left me wanting more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When the Sea is Rising Red.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim This looks really good! Excellent review.

Kick-ass-heroines are just what we need! I need to make a pass through that shelf and see more. :)