Raina's Reviews > Can I See Your I.D.?: True Stories of False Identities: True Stories of False Identities

Can I See Your I.D.? by Chris Barton

Nov 07, 11

bookshelves: biographical, nonfic, psychological, short-stories, ya
Read from October 20 to November 03, 2011

Tells short stories about a series of ten people who convinced the world they were someone else for a time.

The author takes great pains to get at the motivations of the protagonists in these stories. He tells the stories in second person ("You are a fibber."). This makes the reader get into the characters heads in a more direct way than most nonfiction. I was anticipating this form to become annoying, but it didn't really. Only in the afterword, where the author writes second person about himself. That got over the top. But for most of it, it gives things a sense of immediacy.

Interesting stories, most of which I hadn't heard before. Lots of great examples of disadvantaged peoples needing to pretend to be another race/class/gender to survive. And a great story of a kid who just wanted to drive a train...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Can I See Your I.D.?.