Jennifer Estep's Reviews > How the Marquess Was Won

How the Marquess Was Won by Julie Anne Long

Jan 02, 12

bookshelves: historical-romance
Read in January, 2012

How the Marquess Was Won by Julie Anne Long is one of the books in her Pennyroyal Green historical romance series.

Everyone in the ton seems to watch and imitate Julian Spenser, aka Marquess Dryden, aka Lord Ice. Julian doesn't care for the attention, especially since he's close to arranging an advantageous marriage to Lisbeth Redmond that will let him finally acquire a piece of land that used to belong to his family. What Julian doesn't count on is teacher Phoebe Vale, who is acting as a companion to Lisbeth. Julian finds himself much more interested in Phoebe than Lisbeth. Others notice Julian's interest in Phoebe, and soon, she seems to be the new darling of the ton. Phoebe enjoys the attention, even if she knows that it can't last -- and that Julian is determined to marry Lisbeth, no matter what his heart tells him ...

I thought the premise of this one sounded interesting, and I've seen a lot of nice comments about Long's books online.

This had everything I would expect in a historical romance, including two likable lead characters and lots of clever quips. I thought Long did a really nice job with the dialogue. There were a lot of arch comments and engaging banter between Phoebe and Julian, and I enjoyed reading their back-and-forth war of words. That was one of the highlights of the story.

However, I wish more had happened in the book. It's only toward the middle and end that other members of the ton take notice of Phoebe, and she seemingly becomes the darling of society (much to Lisbeth's jealousy). I would have liked to have seen more of that plotline earlier on in the book, along with its consequences at the end, when Phoebe finds out what's really going on.

Overall, this is a solid historical romance. If you like snappy dialogue, check this one out.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How the Marquess Was Won.