Milan/zzz's Reviews > Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal?

Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal? by Jeanette Winterson

Oct 20, 2011

bookshelves: lgbt, nonfiction
Read in October, 2013

Whoever read (or watched) "Oranges" is more/less familiar with Winterson's life story. Here you have an unabridged version. Bold, brave, brutal, sincere, angry, intelligent, amazing. And actually the life turned out to be more incredible, less believable than the fiction. And of course after this you'll appreciate more hew fiction or at least will look at it from different perspective.
This book is utterly amazing. It tells personal story (of course) but also story about north England working class, life in small communities, ...
Being in between (does that mean being nowhere? just a thought).
... and, in spite life (or precisely because of it) optimistic and happy (in one really weird, strange, twisted way) story.
I absolutely loved this book!

EDIT:
I just read other reviews and particularly those who rated 1 star. Amazing is that the main flaw of this book is bleakness, it's depressing, etc. Or they judged after reading first 20 or so pages and decided it's a whiny woman's "my mama is bad" story. That left me in shock. I mean hello this is not a fiction! (wow I wonder what they think about Dickens!) bleak and depressed as it is that's life!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal?.

10/04/2013 marked as: currently-reading