Jami Butts's Reviews > Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl

F 50x66
Oct 20, 11

Summary: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is about a young boy named Charlie Bucket. He lives with both sides of his grandparents, his mom and his dad. They are all poor and have very little money. Charlie's Grandpa Joe would tell him stories about Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory which made him really want to go inside and look around. He later finds out in the newspaper that Willy Wonka is going to let 5 lucky kids into his factory they just have to be lucky enough to get 1 of the 5 golden wrappers in one of the willy wonka chocolate bars. With him and his family having very little money they couldn't afford to get the chocolate bars. The good thing was that Charlie's birthday was coming up and every year he gets a chocolate bar for his birthday. So when his birthday came he got one but had no luck. Charlie ends up getting a stike of luck when he finds a dollar on the ground. He buys a chocolate bar but again nothing. He then decides to buy just one more bar with the money and there it was the fifth and final golden ticket. The next day it is time to go to the factory but Charlie has no one to go with him. Finally his Grandpa Joe gets out of bed for the first time in decades and says he will go with him. They both go to the chocolate factory and are so amused by everything around them. The other 4 children that found the tickets were very rude and ended up causing themselves trouble and eventually get sent out of the factory in some weird ways. Finally that leaves just Charlie and his Grandpa and he finds out some great news from Willy Wonka. He is told that he is the winner of the whole chocolate factory and now it belongs to him and his family.

Age Range: I believe this book is for the intermediate to advanced age ranges. It is definitely meant for older kids since it has over 100 pages in it and has smaller pictures. It also will really let them use their imagination and picture themselves inside of the book.

Artistic Elements: I would say that this book doesn't really have that many artistic elements in it. It has very small pictures that are black, grey and white and they look hand drawn. Other then that it is mainly just words.

Recommendation: I would recommend this book to anyone. Actually any of the Ronald Dahl books are great. It really is a great book and gets the children really thinking and using their imagination. It is also a fun book to the children. I first read this book when I was in elementary school and I loved it and I think any child who reads it now would love it too and would want to read more books from that author.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.