Kimberly's Reviews > The Knife of Never Letting Go

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

Oct 24, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read from October 20 to 24, 2011

After Earth became unlivable, humans left for new places. One of these planets was the New World, which introduced a side-effect into the human race--the ability to hear each other's thoughts (and the thoughts of animals), which is called Noise. Todd is the youngest in his colony and will "become a man" in a month's time. At least, that was the plan until things get turned around.

The first two chapters of this book are almost unreadable. They are a grammatical nightmare (done on purpose, not mistakes), for one. Then there's the dumb talk from Todd's dog and the fact that Todd is really mean to said dog. Plus a lot of chaotic writing, just to give the reader an idea of what living with the Noise is like. I almost couldn't take it, but I'm glad I stuck it out because the book got much much better.

It takes a while for things to be revealed and come to a climax, and there's not really an ending to this book. But I was hooked enough that I will be looking into the sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Knife of Never Letting Go.