Anne Marie's Reviews > The Ragamuffin Gospel: Good News for the Bedraggled, Beat-Up, and Burnt Out

The Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning

F_50x66
Oct 20, 11

This may be one of the best books that I have read on the grace God. It is like reading the Book of Romans where the Apostle Paul skillfully presents salvation by faith through God’s grace. Manning says he wrote the book “for the bedraggled, beat-up, and burnt-out,” the marginalized folks to whom Jesus ministered: the children, the ill, the tax collectors, the adulterers and extortionists. In other words, the ragamuffins. Manning understands better than most that behind our facades of order and self-assurance are inadequacies that can find healing only in Jesus.

Brennan challenges the reader to move past regret and shame, and move forward to seeking God's love again, eschewing sin in the process. This book highlights a mistake we often make in our understanding of God...and corrects it. Sometimes it is so easy to feel that we are not good enough, or that we must somehow “earn” our place in the heart of God. But Manning reminds us that this is not the way of God. He loved us “while we were yet sinners” and died for us.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ragamuffin Gospel.