Fred's Reviews > Up Till Now

Up Till Now by William Shatner

Oct 20, 11

bookshelves: 2011-read, autobiography, humour, married, life, non-fiction, canadian
Read in October, 2011

This is a pretty good autobiography. How much Shatner wrote and how much his ghost writer wrote will remain a mystery but I think this is pretty damned good. The anecdotes about Star Trek were funny and interesting as was his time on other TV shows which I didn't necessarily watch. I never watched an episode of 'TJ Hooker' or 'Boston Legal' but Shatner still managed to capture my interest with details about life on the sets of those shows. I would almost consider watching them now. Shatner opens up about playing these characters. I think he'll always be remembered as Kirk. It doesn't matter what he does.

Shatner also recalls making the movie The Intruder. It sounded interesting. I didn't know about this movie and will probably check it out because of this book. In it Shatner plays a racist who incites violence in a small southern US town. Sounds intriguing. It's a departure from his previous work which up to that point included many TV shows, including the Twilight Zone.

I'm glad Twilight Zone was mentioned and how he gave credit to Richard Matheson who wrote the original short story to Terror at 20,000 feet. It's a classic. Shatner talks about how it was just another job for him at the time and no expected that they were making classic TV.

A lot of the book is about Star Trek, the TV show and subsequent movies. I knew most of the cast hated Shatner but Shatner apparently didn't at the time. He's pretty humble about the whole thing though and admits he could've treated his co-stars better. His marriages are detailed as is his friendship with Leonard Nimoy who apparently was an alcoholic for many years. I don't think this is a new detail but I still enjoyed hearing about how he helped Nimoy achieve sobriety.

Their relationship spans longer than most of Shatner's marriages. It was always a work in progress according to this book and Shatner and Nimoy never really got along until the making of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. They both hated the movie but agreed to do the sequels, one of which Shatner directed. It was really bad. Shatner also details the original script in which the crew of the Enterprise go to Hell. It sounds worse than the movie that got made.

I'd recommend this to Star Trek fans and non-fans. It's an interesting and funny book. I listened to the audiobook so I guess I had the bonus of Shatner's paternal voice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Up Till Now.