Deena Graves's Reviews > Swoon

Swoon by Nina Malkin

Oct 24, 11

bookshelves: could-not-get-into-but-i-tried
Read from October 20 to 24, 2011

Okay... So I don't normally read other reviews on a book I pick up until after I have read the book and formed my own opinion. I like to go into a book with an open mind and be completely unbiased in my thoughts. I feel that is the fair way to go.

For all my efforts on Swoon I just could not get into it. The blurb sounded promising and the cover was engaging, but then it fell flat for me. The main character, Dice, just pissed me off more and more. Her cousin, Pen, was just....I don't know...blah.

The idea of the book was great and I do heart me some paranormal psychic witchy stuff. I just don't know if Miss Nina really pulled it off. Really I could not tell you since I could not finish it. I got about 150 pages in and hit a wall. Distractions started coming easy. Usually if I am reading a bomb could go off in my living room, fires could rip through my walls, DH could have hard core metal playing, the kiddo could be screaming at the top of his lungs and I would hear nothing. See I was born with a switch in my head that just turns everything...off. It's nice. But I could not flip the switch with this book. The TV was distracting, the kids outside were distracting, air flowing past ears was distracting.... You get the picture.

After putting Swoon down I read some of the other reviews seeking to ensure I was not defective. I saw a lot of the same things I had problems with. Some people loved it and great...good for them! Others, like myself, just could not get there. So sorry Miss Nina...
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swoon.

10/21/2011 "Having a hard time getting into this one.... :("