Karen's Reviews > Lethal

Lethal by Sandra Brown

Oct 20, 11

Sandra Brown doesn't disappoint. However, I'm getting the feeling that her books are getting a bit too formulaic for my comfort level. The story does take you in right away, four year old Emily's mom, Honor, is icing chocolate cupcakes when Emily tells her mom that there's a man in the yard and that he's sick. Emily is concerned, but, like any kid, she wants some of the cupcakes. The opening few pages sets the tone of the book. Common activities of everyday people set the background for uncommon interruptions to their lives.

I liked Honor, I thought she was written in a very believable way, she was as solid a heroine as can be written and Brown wrote Emily just as believable. We quickly learn that this man is no stranger in the yard. I liked the character of Coburn and thought Brown developed his character smoothly and with multiple layers and secrets. I didn't quite know where he was going and what he was really after. And that's always a plus for me! What did bother me was that Brown told the story using multiple points of view. I really hate that. For me, the story becomes disjointed and frays into threads.

I generally like Brown's writing, but this just border lined as a bit too cookie-cutterish for me. I was also looking for a bit more romance. Lethal is one of the books where you can't write too much about the plot because it's too darn easy to give too much away. The multiple twists and turns kept me guessing and I didn't have the reveal figured out. So that's a good thing too! However, I will say this, I hate it when the solution to the mystery is a bit far fetched. I was not happy with the way things were tied up, so to speak.

But Brown isn't the best selling author that she is by not crafting a good story with engaging characters and terrific plot lines.

I do recommend Lethal, especially if you are already a fan of Sandra Brown's. But to be honest, I'd say wait for the paperback or get it on an e-reader.

I'm giving this one 3 1/2 stars out of 5.

I hope Brown gets back to her writing skills that first captured my attention as a reader a few books ago.

This galley was provided to me by the publisher and in no way affected by review.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lethal.