Nichole's Reviews > The Pearl Wars

The Pearl Wars by Nick  James

Oct 20, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: series, dystopian, ya, space-fiction
Read from November 20, 2011 to January 30, 2012

After much procrastination I have finally finished this book. It took me a while to find a good amount of interest in the story despite my initial excitement. The theory behind this post-apocalyptic universe is familiar and also new enough to stand out a midst the overflow this genre has recently seen.

The story centers around two main characters, Jesse Fisher and Cassius Stevenson. Jesse lives on a skyship which hovers about what is left of a devastated North America while Cassius lives on the surface among the remains of a post war landscape. The two factions, Earth and skyship, are in a battle over a recently discovered power source called Pearls. The mysterious Pearls fall to Earth from an unknown origin in deep space. Each boy is being trained as a secret operative to serve their governments in this ongoing undercover power struggle. A chance mission that places each boy in the presence of the other will change their destiny as their worlds entwine. Suddenly the lines begin to blur as to which side, if any, is the right side to be on.

The constantly changing point of view makes it somewhat difficult to feel a connection to any of the characters, main or supporting for the first half of the book. However, the ending brings everything together and makes the stumbling to get there worth it. I equate the beginning of this story to the pilot of a television series, sometimes you have to spend the first episode introducing all of the players.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pearl Wars.

11/30/2011 "So I have started chapter 1 three times now. It's not because I have no interest in the book I just have no time or attention span for reading at the moment. Hoping to get back soon!"
01/06/2012 "I gave up on this, this isn't to say that I won't return but for now I have moved onto other stories."