Sherry's Reviews > Intrigues

Intrigues by Mercedes Lackey

F_50x66
Oct 28, 11

'Intrigues' was disappointing to me. I really enjoyed the first book in this series, even if the character came off as a little bit similar to Skif in ‘Take a Thief’. This one, though begins as if no social progress has been made, in spite of the fact that we left Mags in a pretty good place at the end of the last book. Throughout, his friends seem dramatically more immature than they were previously (teenage angst perhaps?) and he himself keeps thinking about how fortunate and grateful he is to be warm and well-fed, but the refrain is mostly just another way of showing his resentment and frustration.
The language in this book was also a problem for me. Perhaps it was just that Mags spoke out loud more than he did in the previous book, but the attempt to catch his slang and poor grammar on paper made pages and pages of this book into a muddle that was painful to get through. I found this frustrating because it was both not a problem in the first book and not a problem in ‘Take a Thief,’ where Skif is also using a dramatic amount of cant and slang. I’m not sure what went wrong in the writing process, but this reads much more like a second draft than a completed piece of fiction.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Intrigues.