Natalie Bowers's Reviews > Neverwhere

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

Oct 25, 11

bookshelves: 5-stars, adventure, fantasy, humour
Read from October 20 to 25, 2011

Things I loved about this book:

1. The narrator - a sardonic character in his/her own right who weaves words into the most vivid of images and plays his/her cards close enough to his/her vest to keep me intrigued to the end.
2. Richard - this guy goes on such a journey, and it's a believable journey. He has a wicked sense of humour too which only really emerges as he starts to find his feet in London Below. The poor guy is dragged into a world he doesn't even know exists and flounders horribly for most of the book, but when the time come for him to rise to the occassion, he does just that.
3. London Below - what an amazing alternate reality. The whole time I was reading I kept thinking 'Damn! I wish I'd thought of that!'
4. The way Gaiman plays shamelessly with tropes and cliche. I imagine he had enormous fun writing this book. The Wizard of Oz references (the obvious and not-so-obvious) are highly amusing and satisfying.
5. The Marquis de Carabas - he reminded me of Captain Jack Sparrow. In a good way.
6. Croup and Vandemar - it's true; they have no redeeming features, but they are so funny in a macabre kind of way. (Does that count as a redeeming feature?)
7. The lack of romance - refreshing!
8. The ending - I shan't spoil it, but I think it was perfect!

Things I didn't like:
1. Um ... nothing!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Neverwhere.

10/24/2011 page 226
61.0% "Neil Gaiman is a genius!"
10/25/2011 page 370
100.0% "Best book I've read in a LONG time!"