Katie Willingham's Reviews > The Ticking is the Bomb

The Ticking is the Bomb by Nick Flynn

Oct 20, 11

This is the second book of Nick Flynn's I've read and the second book of his dealing with torture, and specifically Abu Ghraib. I loved The Captain Asks for a Show of Hands, Flynn's more recent collection of poetry on the subject, but this book was wholly different and wholly rewarding in different ways. His poetic sense is still there, showcased in the format--vignettes, fragments, snippets threaded together to form themes and plots that awaken the mind intrigue the heart. I think the form was a great choice for the content--memoir/research project/love story/family history. I have to be upfront though and say the book is dark, and if you're not in a place where you can take it in, I doubt you'll finish it. I put it down for a night or two and was reluctant to pick it up in bed at night, worried I would be inspired to dream of torture. If you can stomach it though, this book truly does have a rewarding tenderness to it that will carry any willing reader through to the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ticking is the Bomb.