Savannah's Reviews > Becoming Marie Antoinette

Becoming Marie Antoinette by Juliet Grey

Oct 31, 11

bookshelves: chicklit, coming-of-age, families, fiction, history, librarybook, politics, romance, women
Read from October 26 to 30, 2011

I'm not sure whether this was meant for teens or adults, but I'm going to shift it to our teen collection. The protagonist's voice is young and well-pitched for that age, and the scope of the novel, all about finding your place in an inescapable role, will appeal, I think, well to our library teens.

Because that's what this book is about: the young girl who is to wed the future king of France is trained, modified, and stumbles with varying degrees of success into her destined life. The glimpses of court life in the two countries, Austria and France, contrast well through her eyes, both things childish and things that will carry meaning as she becomes an adult. If there is any note that seems a little forced, it's the long-deferred consummation of their marriage, which reads more like a perpetual tease for the teen reader than one more element she must master to assume her new role. Despite its frequent mention, there are essentially no sexual details or sexual attraction and so the book should be fine even for those teens who are not supposed to or don't want to know that sex exists.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Becoming Marie Antoinette.