Gabriel's Reviews > The Metamorphosis, In the Penal Colony, and Other Stories: The Great Short Works of Franz Kafka

The Metamorphosis, In the Penal Colony, and Other Stories by Franz Kafka

Oct 20, 11

Ok, I haven't read every story here. I plan on picking this up every so often and reading a story once in a while.

What I did read, though, and what I want to comment on is the classic "Metamorphosis" novella.

First off, this translation (in comparison to the bit that I read off of the Gutenberg website) is much more vibrant and humorous. I remember standing reading the first page and laughing at the situation and the character's reactions. This is truly a wonderful introduction to what is currently called the "Bizarro" genre. Something strange happens and, though people react ... it seems to be taken for granted that sometimes these things just happen. Which is where the humor comes in and what the story deals with. What is the fallout if a family member (who has provided for you) no longer can provide and just becomes a pest?

The story is broken up into three chapters. The strongest and funniest of the three is the first. The other two chapters were a little more serious and - due to the constraints of the narration - skipped over lots of details. Still, as the final act comes to a close, the satire hits a more poignant target. As I think about it, the entire thing is funny in that black humor way.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Metamorphosis, In the Penal Colony, and Other Stories.