jess's Reviews > Found, Free, and Flea: Creating Collections from Vintage Treasures

Found, Free, and Flea by Tereasa Surratt

Oct 20, 11

bookshelves: 2011, interiors, blogger
Read in October, 2011

Basically, this book has the capacity to ruin my life. This book is about ostensibly about making collections from vintage treasures, and it serves perfectly well in that regard, although the advice becomes redundant quickly (how many times can you say "go to flea markets" ?). But the "vintage collection" advice is not why I love this book. The author & her husband bought the derelict camp that he attended as a child. It has a storied past (bootleggers! brothel! church camp!) and piles of nostalgia in every nook & cranny. It's just so deliciously 1950s summer camp. There is a lot of plaid. There is a whole village of vintage Boy Scout platform tents. Gah.

Did you know I worked as a Girl Scout camp counselor for the better part of my adolescence and everything good about me came from those experiences and one of my childhood camps is for sale right now? This book made me wonder how I could ever qualify for another mortgage so I could buy aforementioned beloved camp property and rehab it into my own private playground, rattlesnakes and all. This is an unhealthy train of thought. So I had to return this book to the library.

If you can't get your paws on the book, the author maintains a blog that sends me into regular fits of jealousy and desire over at http://averymodestcottage.blogspot.com/ and you can see lots and lots of Camp Wandawega photos at http://wandawega.com/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Found, Free, and Flea.