Angela's Reviews > Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver

Nov 04, 11

bookshelves: 2011, non-fiction, audio
Read in November, 2011

Overall, I really enjoyed listening to Kingsolver's account of her family's adventures in extreme gardening during their year of eating locally. I found this book a bit preachy at times, but for the most part they didn't seem to take themselves too seriously (I listened to the audio book and think some of the things that annoyed other goodreads reviewers were actually meant tongue-in-cheek). I especially appreciate that Kingsolver acknowledged the importance of meat as a food source, and that it is actually the best use of some types of land to graze livestock rather than trying to grow another crop. I'm completely envious of her Virginia climate - oh, to grow watermelons!!! Some years we're lucky to get a few tomatoes in between late June and mid-August frosts. Having said that, I know it is entirely possible to live on local food grown in Alberta's climate - my grandparents all did it as a part of their normal life. But Kingsolver's book contains not a single mention of that vegetable staple that got them through the long winters: cabbage. Sauerkraut anyone?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.