Jamie's Reviews > In the Belly of the Bloodhound: Being an Account of a Particularly Peculiar Adventure in the Life of Jacky Faber

In the Belly of the Bloodhound by L.A. Meyer

Jul 14, 14

Read from October 20 to November 02, 2011

Well, what can I say except thatI am continueing to LOVE this series? This book was quite different from the others in that Jacky didn't really have a lot of action...just a LOT of plotting.

Jacky, being wanted for piracy, hides out back at the Lawson Peabody School for Young Girls...only to be kidnapped along with 32 of the other girls by slavers, who intend to sell them to north African kings and the like. What follows is a long voyage spent almost entirely in the hold of the slave ship. Jacky, of course, immediately begins to work out an escape plan.

I think this may have been one of the most stressful books for me to read (listen to on CD). The delicate plottings of Jack & Co. were both maddeningly tedious and intensely nerve-wracking. Sooo many times I threw up my hands (literally, and while driving no less) and cried, "Dammit, L.A.Meyer! Stop DOING that!" after a particularly tense chapter. To add to the anxiety, this book featured several interludes where Jacky told stories to the other girls about her life on the street. Entertaining and interesting, yes...but it seemed to drag out the tension of the girls' impending escape plans even more.

So, this book was totally nerve-wracking for me, but in a good way. There were certainly many triumphant moments that made me crow with delight, and just any many agonizing moments that had be wanting to tear my hair out.

UPDATE 10/31/12: Finished this book for the 2nd time on CD. I stand by my original view, but with the amendment that I am getting really sick of Jamey. I know this is just compounded with me getting really sick of him in the later books of the series, and I wasn't this sick of him the last time around.....but yeah. He needs to go.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Belly of the Bloodhound.

10/29 "I'm about 2/3 of the way through this on CD. It's very different from previous Bloody Jack books in that there is less *action* and a heck of a lot more *plotting*. This is owed to the fact that Jacky and friends are prisoners on a slave ship...so they're not exactly going to be running around doing things...But is it odd that I'm having just as much fun with the plotting as the usual shenanigans?"
07/14 marked as: currently-reading