Renee's Reviews > Radio Shangri-la: What I Learned in Bhutan, the Happiest Kingdom on Earth

Radio Shangri-la by Lisa Napoli

Oct 20, 11

Read in October, 2011

This book is about the author’s accident introduction to Bhutan and her series of visits between 2007 and 2010. I certainly learned more about the country and found that aspect of the book interesting. For example, Bhutan until recently had no access to television, radio, internet.

Not a heavily tourist destination, as many travelers are put off by the (still in place)$200 per person per day tourist tax. The country boasts the idea of measuring a society's GNP worth in “Gross National Happiness”, however that seems to be more of government propaganda than fact.

My interest was held much more in the beginning, and then lessened as I continued. Lisa Napoli is a seasoned NPR news reporter and journalist, yet this book seemed native, in the “most countries are better than the US” sense. Sometimes basic/un-fussy people are just that, it doesn’t make them more spiritual, knowing, and closer to God or for that matter happier.

Although the author may think it charming that the Bhutanese lug up gallons of water from the not-so-near wells, I’m sure if you asked any one of those folks if they felt more true in spirit because of this, I could be wrong, but I’m guessing the majority would tell you they kill for a kitchen sink and a tap with hot and cold water…...
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Radio Shangri-la.