Monaliz's Reviews > Blood Magic

Blood Magic by Tessa Gratton

Nov 03, 11

bookshelves: wishlist, read-2011
Read on October 19, 2011, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** The first thing in my mind: Bloodmagic is wrong! Everyone knows that! You don't do it, never ever ever! Nothing good comes out of it, everyone knows that too! And I had some real trouble believing, that you could do something good with killing animals. Like.. Hello!? But, it was interesting to see this new idea of blood magic, and luckily I was able to look past my own opinions, and enjoy this book.

This book was written in a two point of views, Silla's and Nicholas's, which reminded me of Old Magic. In Old Magic, it didn't work, since you only got some shallow touch to the characters and the deeper things were forgotten. Luckily, this didn't happen this time, and I was able to connect with the characters.

I was quite doubtful in the beginning, since the whole book started with the main characters meeting in a graveyard. Surprise! It's either that, or they meet in a school. But it wasn't nearly as corny as I expected, it had some original twist, otherwise I would have stopped reading immediately.

Main thing missing was some humor. This was quite serious book, there was some extremely gory stuff going on (!!!), so it would have been nice to laugh at times. It was way too creepy most of the time, I tried to stop reading and was all "Oh no, that's disgusting, I can't read this, my fragile mind will break!", but I just couldn't. And that's why I would've appreciate some nice stuff too. Now there was just a pile of bodies, angry birds and Lilith as your evil stepmother. That's hardcore. And of course I would have bet my money on Lilith, I mean Mary, as the bad guy, but luckily it wasn't that simple.

It took me only half a day to read this book, which hasn't happened in while. I would have given this 5 cupcakes, but as I said, I need more sunshine to the rain. Obviously, I will be reading the second book, too, though it isn't published until some time next year, so I guess we just have to wait.

Link to my blog!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Magic.