Adam Hale's Reviews > Fargo Rock City: A Heavy Metal Odyssey in Rural North Dakota

Fargo Rock City by Chuck Klosterman

M_50x66
May 27, 08

Recommended for: anyone
Read in February, 2008

If you haven’t read Fargo Rock City by author and rock critic Chuck Klosterman you should go get a copy. It is an interesting tale of a metal head growing up in North Dakota in the 1980’s, a time when heavy metal ruled the world.
I think what made me like it more is that I can somewhat relate to him and what he is saying. He was born and raised in Wyndmere, North Dakota and listened to the radio station out of Fargo. He tackles many of the issues facing metal when it hit the mainstream such as parents hating it, violence, drugs and sex. He claims that it is ignorant to ignore that music has no affect on the way that people act, but the people who become violent or commit suicide or something can not blame that on the music. His writing is very insightful and thought provoking. I didn’t live through the 1980’s like he did but I have lived in suburban and small towns for my life and do like metal music.
Chuck Klosterman is a good author and his writing is full of humor and sarcasm. I would recommend any book by this author.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fargo Rock City.