Jeff's Reviews > How the Mistakes Were Made

How the Mistakes Were Made by Tyler Mcmahon

M 50x66
May 04, 12

Read from October 24 to November 03, 2011 — I own a copy

Someone asked me recently what this book is about. I said it's about a band called The Mistakes and how they were made. At the time I'd only just started it and to me it was nothing more than a clever title. But having finished I now realize it's much, much more. On the surface it is indeed the story of a band formed from the ashes of 80s underground hardcore and in the fledgling days of the Seattle grunge scene. But digging deeper it's a story of family, love, and loss. McMahon takes his readers on an intense, whirlwind journey in which dreams come true over night and are dashed by breakfast. He has a smooth story-telling style and extraordinary attention to detail; two elements that combine to make the story read like a real life rock memoir as might be seen in the pages of Rolling Stone; an incredible feat for a first-time novelist.

The best thing I can say about How the Mistakes Were Made is that it is by far the best book I've read this year (and I read both The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Fellowship of the Ring this year so that's saying something)!

Actually, I lied. The best thing I can say about this book is it sucked me in so hard that, having never had any musical talent whatsoever nor any interest in being a musician, I now find myself looking for used guitars online to teach myself to play.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How the Mistakes Were Made.