Kimberly Morghan's Reviews > Thirteen Hours

Thirteen Hours by Deon Meyer

F 50x66
Oct 19, 2011

Read in October, 2011

I enjoy reading detective novels as a bit of "guilty pleasure", all the better if they are set in some exotic locale and show you the gritty underbelly of a place you've never been. This was a very gripping story of a detective trying to solve two murders while dealing with the challenge of supervising several inexperienced younger detectives. It was set in South Africa, and the challenges of racial conflict that you hear about in the news of South Africa were definitely present in this book. The author moves the story along at a steady pace, shows the strengths and frailties of his characters quite well, and brings it all to a somewhat unexpected conclusion. I found the use of words and phrases in a variety of unfamiliar languages very interesting, though I admit I couldn't always puzzle out their meaning even by context. I found myself really liking the main character and hoping that all would work out in the end for him. I will definitely pick up another book by this author, and I immediately passed my copy on to a coworker who has similar tastes in books to get her take on it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thirteen Hours.