Sherry Baker's Reviews > The Dream Hunter

Oct 19, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: trash
Read in June, 2007

Sherrilyn didn't do badly with the story concept... Dreams, cool. Greek gods, cool... librarian-like beauty that doesn't know she's beautiful? Way cool...but it went downhill from there. The dialog was simply TERRIBLE. Not just *bad* but distractingly terrible.

I am thoroughly convinced that it would have made Buffy The Vampire Slayer slay Joss Whedon had she been forced to spew these lines from her mouth. But then, Geary is no Buffy... so maybe it was just that this character didn't have enough likability to pull it off.

How bad could it be?

Well, when a reader finds they are paying more attention to how many times the characters say, "You have no idea!" than paying attention to the story... the author and editor have not done their job. It was all I could do to keep from going back through the book and highlighting this phrase where ever it appeared and sending it back requesting a refund. And Greek Gods speaking slang? A few things interspersed is understandable... it was very likely to have been picked up in the dream of a dreamer. But Arik didn't do much talking in the dreams he participated in... so slamming slang like a teenager made it really difficult to suspend belief.

But the horror didn't end there... The book was littered with glaring errors stemming mostly from writing about a subject completely under-researched. I mean... if you are going to write about a small boat on the water... at least know what the various equipment is called. It wasn't as bad as "She pushed the thing on the thing" but it was obvious when the author was glossing over detail due to lack of knowledge on the subject. I've read teen fan-fiction with more research.

No... I didn't like it. I probably will never pick up another novel by Sherrilyn Kenyon again. And it makes me sad because I really wanted to like this book. I was expecting a lot more... as my mother loved this book.

Was there anything I liked?

Hmmm... if I had to say one thing nice about it... It wasn't as bad as Ron Miller's "Bronwyn: Silk & Steel"... the love scenes were nice and steamy.
Oh... and the guy on the cover was hot.

That's worth about 2 stars, I guess.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dream Hunter.