Aska's Reviews > Cendrillon: A Caribbean Cinderella

Cendrillon by Robert D. San Souci

Oct 20, 11

bookshelves: traditional-literature

I loved how it was told from the godmother's point of view. She wasn't a fairy but she had a magical wand she inherited from her mother. The use of language was very casual which made it seem like someone was telling you a story instead of reading it from a book. This is true to the characteristics of traditional literature as it mirrors the original way these stories were told. The story line follows the same plot as Cinderella but there are many interesting characteristics are that are used throughout the story. The text uses many French words to describe the role each of the characters play. People from France are considered upper-class and even the mean step mother's from France and it's described as "buffed up proud because her grandfather came from France". I also thought it's funny that "agouts" were turned into horses. I looked up "agouts" and they are rodents! I guess in the Disney version of Cinderella, mice were used as well.

I think many schools are keen to include books without the typical "blonde caucasian girl" as Cinderella. This is a great book as in it incorporates many cultural characteristics from the Caribbean.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cendrillon.

message 1: by Genie (new) - added it

Genie I've really enjoyed the many different versions of Cinderella that other cultures have adapted as their own, using specific examples. In second grade last year, our team chose several different versions and read them aloud to our students, doing many Venn diagrams to compare and contrast the stories. Now that I teach an older grade, I wonder if my class can write their own version of Cinderella using their own backgrounds and cultures.

Aska That's a great idea. They can discuss how they can incorporate their own culture/tradition into the story to make it more meaningful to them. I love that idea!