Jessica's Reviews > Tender Mercies

Mar 14, 12

liked it
Recommended for: Jen Matthews
Read from October 18 to November 01, 2011 — I own a copy

It's hard to find good MaleDom/femsub fiction out there that doesn't get too "shiny". I'm not into cutesy "scene" bdsm...true submission is my bag and it's difficult to do well, balancing the erotic with the psychological, the issues of whether it's right or wrong for a woman to feel this way. I'm about half way through Tender Mercies, and while I love all the characters and plot and concept and setting I'm finding the writing a bit repetitive. Thomas really wants to drive the point home, no matter what the point is, and says it forty different ways in the same chapter. I find myself saying "ok ok I get it, let's get to the action."

It's more of a cerebral bdsm novel than a "sexy time book" and that's fine with me, because when the real steaminess appears, it makes it extra hot.

There are some "sub-plots" (heh heh, little D/s joke there) that are wrapped up rather quickly and rather neatly and I think the second half of the book gets a little clunky and weird. I would have preferred more focus and exploration of the first half perhaps with an ambiguous ending.

If you're looking for a quick eyebrow raiser and are ok with complete submission, this is your book, but be ready for some extraordinary violence that I wasn't expecting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tender Mercies.