K.D. Absolutely's Reviews > Jellicoe Road

Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

May 13, 12

bookshelves: tfg-100, family-drama, ya, trashy, populist
Recommended to K.D. by: GR-TFG 100 Favorite Books (2011 version)
Read from April 16 to May 13, 2012, read count: 1

Every Filipino who loves his country must read this book.

Reason: On April 13, 2012, North Korea's long-range rocket launched, failed. Reuters is now saying that, embarrassed by rocket crash, North Korea may now be thinking of trying nuclear test.

Check the path and the trajectory plan of that failed rocket launch:
northkorea
Do you see that tail-end of the yellow line? That's Luzon, the biggest island in the Philippines. That's where Manila is. That's where I live!

But why should we read this book?

Here's why:
president
He reads this book!

Seriously, I am one of the moderators of The Filipino Group here in Goodreads. This book, Jellicoe Road by an Australian novelist, Melina Marchetta is our book of the month and we will have our face-to-face book discussion on Saturday. As a moderator and one of the senior members of the group, some members ask me what I think of the book. Even if they don't say or admit it, my views influence some of them. At this point, I guess my job is to encourage them to read the book and join the actual book discussion. That's why even if I did not like this book, I cannot rate this with 1 star. Why I did not like this book?
1. I cannot understand why the first 100 pages should be made confusing
2. The claim or fight for territory has nothing to do with the rest of the book. Also, I do not understand exactly how it is supposed to work.
3. The love affair between Taylor and Briggs is too mushy for my taste. Felt like Katniss-Peeta or Bella-Edward. I'm too old for that.
4. Taylor is a pathetic female character IMO.
5. Taylor is asked to lead even if she is asthmatic. Is there nobody else who can lead?
Anyway, according to my trusted friends in this group, the book is amazing. Maybe they are still young and the story "speaks" to them. So, let's leave it at that. However, I can say that this book has a good intent. It also has a developed story that other readers can emphatize with. I guess that this is just not for me.

But it is my ardent desire that this book will influence our North Korean friend to back off in his evil plan of building nuclear arsenal in the side of the world. Stop your expansionist plan, please and be content on what you have. Then if you have to test nukes, please don't point it to the Philippines! See, we also love Melina Marchetta! See, we both read and enjoy this book!

Thanks for lending me this book, Aaron.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jellicoe Road.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

jzhunagev First!

The Monday morning's just beginning and this review already made my day.

So full of win! Haha! :D

message 2: by Maria Ella (last edited May 13, 2012 05:58PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Maria Ella WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!
Thank you for such information. Did he cry? Did he realize the treasure of friendship? Did he find the story dramatic? I want to hear his thoughts about Marchetta's creation. :P

message 3: by K.D. (new) - rated it 1 star

K.D. Absolutely Jzhun, thanks!

Ella, do you want Aaron to invite him? :)

SubterraneanCatalyst -Censorship is for the Weak K.D., you actually made me interested in this book lol. I've never wanted to read any Marchetta at all..hmm..I'll check it out. I've been really reluctant to read what I'd call "straight" contemporary fiction.

message 5: by K.D. (last edited May 13, 2012 06:08PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

K.D. Absolutely Subter, thanks for the like. Remember that the rating is not yet final :)

But it is not a bad book. In fact, it is readable and it, especially the second part, will probably warm your heart. They say though that her earlier two novels "Alibandri" and "Saving Francesca" are better. I am still to read those however so I cannot attest to that claim.

This is an easy read. Looks thick but if you check the pages, there are very few letters on each page. If you read this straight up, you will probably spend only a day of leisurely read so why not give it a try?

SubterraneanCatalyst -Censorship is for the Weak K.D. wrote: "Subter, thanks for the like. Remember that the rating is not yet final :)

Yes, I read your whole review. I have no issues reading a long book or even a densely written book. It's just that these days I need something "other" to captivate me since my attention is stretched like a rubber band lately...
I will pick it up. I figure I need to stretch a little every once in awhile and come up for oxygen and a little closer to reality LOL.

I'm not going to lie, your comment about the missiles, and the Dear Leader reading this book perked my interest as well :p

Rollie I can't help but smile. :)

message 8: by K.D. (new) - rated it 1 star

K.D. Absolutely Subter, thanks again. I will wait for your review then :)

Rollie, have you seen the "magic"? :)

message 9: by Maria Ella (last edited May 13, 2012 06:48PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Maria Ella "Not driving anymore." = "magic" of KILIG! :))))

Monique Wow! 5 stars! Very nice. :)

Louize Hahahahaha, grabe ang tawa ko!
Thanks for the Monday Magic, KD!
I needed that much laugh...

message 12: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta Lol.

Ditto that. :D

message 13: by K.D. (new) - rated it 1 star

K.D. Absolutely Ella, I love that part, too! :) Cheesy!

Monique, thanks!

Louize, nice to start the week right :)

Utterly, hope you can give this a try too!

message 14: by Ace (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ace meron pa palang follow-up review sa saturday :)

message 15: by Cary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cary LOL, i can't imagine someone like him reading a YA Book. Is he trying to get some ideas on territory war strategies from this book?

message 16: by K.D. (new) - rated it 1 star

K.D. Absolutely Ace, you can never be sure. I am open to be swayed on Saturday :)

Cary, I got that photo from Google. Who knows? :)

message 17: by Cee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cee Wow, KD. That's a rare 5. A very compelling reason to read this one.

message 18: by K.D. (new) - rated it 1 star

K.D. Absolutely Cee: Oh yes! Yes! :)

message 19: by Shovelmonkey1 (new)

Shovelmonkey1 Do you think someone should start a world leaders group on Goodreads so that they can all get together to read similar books in an international world leader bookgroup and after bonding over the written word, realise that people are just people after all thereby stopping wars (and nuclear testing). I'd vote for that.

message 20: by K.D. (new) - rated it 1 star

K.D. Absolutely Shovel, why not? The owner of Goodreads will be very happy! :)

message 21: by Kwesi 章英狮 (last edited May 16, 2012 08:09PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kwesi 章英狮 Capital LOL! Haha.

message 22: by K.D. (new) - rated it 1 star

K.D. Absolutely Kwesi, I originally planned of changing my rating to 2 or 3 and revise the review by explaining. However, I am not sure what to say anymore. :)

Kwesi 章英狮 I'm also thinking of number five. Haha. It was the worst decision they ever made but I'm glad Taylo still stand in the end.

message 24: by K.D. (new) - rated it 1 star

K.D. Absolutely Me too, Kwesi. Sana may part II hak hak.

message 25: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian A few of my friends found the whole "hot chocolate" thing a bit distracting. Personally I don't think it's as good as the first two NFH books but I still enjoyed it.
R.L. has actually taken a few months off from writing. She's had a few health issues....nothing too serious....but she's decided to take a break and get them sorted.

message 26: by K.D. (new) - rated it 1 star

K.D. Absolutely So sad. Thank you for the info, Ian.

message 27: by Kaye (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kaye Mendoza I agree with you. The book is confusing at first. The territory wars didn't make sense at all. They're close friends.. Why do they want to have own territories?? Anyways it took me so long to finish this book. And yes! I actually asked myself about the leader and the asthma thing as well.

Nice review btw! :))

message 28: by K.D. (new) - rated it 1 star

K.D. Absolutely Kaye wrote: "I agree with you. The book is confusing at first. The territory wars didn't make sense at all. They're close friends.. Why do they want to have own territories?? Anyways it took me so long to finis..."

Thanks, Kaye.