Colleen's Reviews > What Einstein Told His Cook: Kitchen Science Explained

What Einstein Told His Cook by Robert L. Wolke

Oct 30, 11

bookshelves: pop-science
Read from October 19 to 30, 2011

I enjoyed the science here more than the cooking. Maybe I'm just a lousy cook, but when the author's including recipes that call for clarifying butter, sifting flour, or making just about anything from 100% raw ingredients... not my cup of tea. And the problem is that -- overall, and with some great exceptions like the explanation of how to make optimal tea, how a microwave works, and the production of sugar and salt -- the cooking questions are on that higher plane of cooking being that frankly, I don't even aspire to, much less occupy. It has never occurred to me to wonder why my pastry brush gets gummy after use or why I need to weigh down my pie crusts with weights because I don't own either of those things.

That said, Wolke is a clear and funny writer, and though a lot of the information wasn't anything I plan on putting into practice, it was an entertaining and pretty quick read.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Einstein Told His Cook.

Rachel I don't consider myself a gourmet cook, but he included a recipe for clarifying butter that I could easily do at home in my college student kitchen. The recipes calling for clarified butter follow that one. Plus, all you need to sift flour is a mesh strainer. How is that not universally accessible?