Jacinda's Reviews > Starters

Starters by Lissa Price

Mar 13, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read from February 26 to 27, 2012

I’ve been very finicky with anything in this genre. I usually either dislike them or love them…nothing in the middle. I’m happy to say that I ended up loving Starters!

Lissa Price has created a great world in Starters! We have teenagers and Elders left after a spore war has wiped out everyone without a vaccination since children and the elderly were the only ones to get the vaccination. When I say elderly, I mean some people in Starters are +100. Science has advanced SO much that humans are able to live VERY long. With this and with unclaimed teens living on the streets, comes Prime who rents out teens bodies to the Elders.

The science fiction elements to this story were easy to follow. I understood what was happening and how the whole process of how most things worked. The story and plot are constantly moving forward…not too many dull moments in this one.

Callie is strong. Her parents before they died, told her to take care of her younger brother. All of her thoughts and actions are how to keep him safe on the streets and to eventually get him out of them. There’s some romance between Callie and Blake. I’m not going to say much about it, since it’s better for you to read about it yourself.

If it wasn’t for the last 25% or so of Starters, I would have given this book one less star in my rating. This last section of the book is where things get GOOD and crazy and creepy and shock-o-rific! SERIOUSLY! Starters had one of the best endings I’ve ever read. It’s one that I wasn’t expecting in the slightest and it’s one I will remember. I will not have a problem going into reading Enders and struggling to remembering the ending of the Starters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starters.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jacinda One of the best endings ever.

message 2: by Belle (new) - added it

Belle Oooh big call! Can't wait to read this one.