Kerry sullivan's Reviews > Darkness Unbound

Darkness Unbound by Keri Arthur

Oct 21, 11

bookshelves: paranormal-urbanfantasy, thriller-suspence-mystery, favorites
Read in October, 2011

This book was reviewed for Musings of a bookworm

The synopsis
Risa Jones is as extraordinary as her heritage. Born from a lab-enhanced clone mother and an Aedh father, she can not only talk to the souls of the dying and the dead, but she can see the reapers and walk the gray fields that divide this world from the next.
They are skill she rarely uses, however, preferring to concentrate on the business she shares with her two best friends. But when her mother asks her to help the parents of a little girl locked in a coma, she reluctantly agrees. What she discovers scares the hell out of her. Because the little girl’s soul no longer resides in her body, and it wasn’t death and the reapers that took her.
Someone had ripped her soul from her flesh.
As it turns out, a creature consuming the souls of the innocent–and not so innocent–is the least of her problems.
Because someone wants to rip open the gates that divided hell from earth, and Risa is a key component in their plans.
And the only person standing between her and disaster is a reaper who isn’t exactly on her side

My review
I fell in love with this book and Risa. I met her in the Riley Jenson Guardian series and loved her in that. Here she is all grown up and living her life. In this spin off series we still get to see what happened to Riley and Quinn and the rest of the gang so it feels like being with old friends even though Risa's friends are new but the feel of the book is like and old friend. The story was intense and thrilling, the romance was hot and I like that there is some ambiguity about the reaper and Risa's relationship. it was a fantastic opener to the series and left it open enough that I will be waiting with baited breathe for the second book. The best thing is you don't have to have read the Riley Jenson series to love or get this one. It stands alone from Keri Arthur's other books but I think it will be one of her most popular series as more books come out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkness Unbound.