Shelley's Reviews > Women in Eighteenth-Century Europe

Women in Eighteenth-Century Europe by Margaret R. Hunt

Dec 24, 12

bookshelves: other-history, womens-studies
Read from October 19, 2011 to December 24, 2012

I hunted down this book after seeing it reviewed by Amanda Vickery, two years after its release, in the London Review of Books. (http://www.lrb.co.uk/v33/n17/amanda-v...)

What drew me to this book was the inclusion of Ottoman and other, usually marginalized populations in any period history, let alone the history of women.

And it doesn't disappoint. The long eighteenth century is a tough one, bridging late early modern and modern history, and the world of 1700 is very different than 1800. Still, Professor Hunt does a great job of examining all aspects of women's lives, public and private, and putting in perspective the notion that women didn't work much outside the home (false), didn't involve themselves in politics (false), or didn't vote (false).

Most admirably, the focus was primarily on women who were not high status.

Occasionally I'd find a copy error jarring: the dates for Eleanora Fonseca Pimentel are given as 1752-1798, but later in the same paragraph, her death is given as 20 August 1799. But that's small beer.

Law school ruined me for further education (I will not be going back), but this book made me wistfully wish I could be in school again, wish I could take a course that used the book as the foundation for discussion.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Women in Eighteenth-Century Europe.

03/31/2012 page 39
8.0% "Fabulous book. Makes me wish I were in grad school studying history."
show 4 hidden updates…