Julie Witt's Reviews > Dearly, Departed

Dearly, Departed by Lia Habel

Nov 19, 2011

bookshelves: netgalley, reviewed

I received an eARC of this book free of charge from NetGalley in exchange for my honest opinion.

My honest opinion is that I LOVED this book! I've always had a thing for the undead, but it was always vampires or ghosts, never zombies! But after meeting Bram, I'm going to have to amend that to include one zombie in particular.

From Goodreads: "Love conquers all, so they say. But can Cupid’s arrow pierce the hearts of the living and the dead—or rather, the undead? Can a proper young Victorian lady find true love in the arms of a dashing zombie?

The year is 2195. The place is New Victoria—a high-tech nation modeled on the manners, mores, and fashions of an antique era."

This is kind of a futuristic steampunk-ish book, which sounds weird, but it totally worked here. The writing was superb and the characters were totally fleshed out (yes, that is a really bad zombie pun!).

This story was told from 5 points of view, and where normally I might find that a bit confusing, each different voice was so unique and true to the character that I never had a problem following who was narrating at any given time. Each POV gave a different dimension to the story and definitely moved the story along and made it easier to understand what was happening.

The book summary gives a really good description of the book, so I don't need to reiterate what it's about, but what I can tell you is that this book is definitely worth reading! It moves along at a good pace, so it was a quick read for me. I am highly anticipating the next book in the series and will be one of the first to buy it (if possible) because I can't WAIT to find out what happens with Nora and Bram :D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dearly, Departed.