Curtis Butturff's Reviews > Worm: The First Digital World War

Worm by Mark Bowden

Nov 28, 11

Read in November, 2011

Although I suspect he's best known as the author of Black Hawk Down, Bowden does an apt job in translating events transpiring over the past few years most folks just aren't aware of other than the occasional big news story about an email virus or something. What he's writing about here while it can propagated that way is more properly focused on the specific of the computer worm as opposed to virus. Malware so to speak. It's gotten to be such a common term thanks to advertising from security firms and Microsoft that it's military implications get lost in the shuffle. I'm still reading it but the idea and the conceptual basis he puts it in are important historically enough to warrant a 5 from me as an historian.

I'll revise this as get further along and finish it likely tomorrow but one thing I will take issue with is if it he portrays this new war as having unique separate phases or rather as a long protracted struggle more akin to war on terror with a fair degree of underworld murkiness.

It's very real though and nation states are waging war through cyberspace.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Worm.