Chanelle's Reviews > The Pledge

The Pledge by Kimberly Derting

Oct 28, 11

bookshelves: arc-review
Read from October 19 to 28, 2011

The Pledge was a story that started off disappointing me, but then as I got to the middle/end parts, I couldn't put it down.

Set in a distant future, countries have gone back to royalty to lead, and each royal family has a bit of magic that allows them to keep the throne - well the women do anyway. Citizens are split into class; and each class has a language aswell as Englaise which is universal. Charlie, a vendor, has a strange talent - she can understand all languages.

There isn't much I can say about Charlie. She wasn't a character that really stood out for me. I suppose she was very responsible and loyal. Very protective of her sister. But as far as main characters, she was really boring. I didn't like her, but I didn't dislike her either. When her friend is so obviously acting like a completely crappy friend, Charlie has some thoughts about it and says nothing. She only ever stands up for herself to Max; but with that I think it was to add some tension to their romance.

In fact, every scene with Max in it was great. By far my favourite scenes. He was a great love interest, though his motives weren't always clear. I didn't understand why he liked Charlie at all. But their chemistry was undeniably hot and very interesting to watch. I kind of wish this had been Max's story and not Charlie's.

Overall it was a good story, not a great one. The change from first POV to third POV was a little jarring at times. And this doesn't hold a candle to Derting's Echos series. But I recommend to all dystopian lovers out there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pledge.