puneet 's Reviews > A Suitable Boy

A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth

Feb 05, 13

“But I too hate long books: the better, the worse. If they're bad they merely make me pant with the effort of holding them up for a few minutes. But if they're good, I turn into a social moron for days, refusing to go out of my room, scowling and growling at interruptions, ignoring weddings and funerals, and making enemies out of friends. I still bear the scars of Middlemarch.”

im not gonna a lie , ...its a looooooooooong fucking book people !easily leaving the order of phoenix behind !
i was inspired to read this one because we a had a poem called the "frog and the nightingale " in tenth grade , i found seths writing style compelling , witty ,classy yet simple ! plus this book was available in the library ( im a sucker for free copies ).this review is 2.5 years late !

the story is set in post-independence india !the kapoors are trying to fnd a suitable match for lata ! what makes the story intresting is that the book is about finding a suitable boy but the author does not ignore the side characters , they too have their own stories . the book was almost like a daily soap !but better !

i have no complaints about the book but one thing that there are too many characters and there are stories about four families running parallel and i forgot sometimes how these four families were related to each other ! i think the main alure was the development of characters , they were so real man ! i wud definately recommend this book ! one last thing i want to add is that the author doesnt exaggerate anything , its simple narration , theirs no favouritism , theres no long paragraphs describing the colour of someones eyes , someones taut muscles someones ful lips etc , the characters develop so naturally ! so im gonna shut bout the characters , but please give this book a chance !

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Suitable Boy.