Giselle's Reviews > Become

Become by Ali Cross

Nov 06, 11

bookshelves: arc, ebook, paranormal
Read from November 02 to 05, 2011

Become is not your average YA paranormal. We're thrown into an intense novel about the battle between angels and demons. Lucifer's daughter, Desolation, is our protagonist and against her wishes, she's being sent back to earth Where there are teenagers and people with… feelings.

Desolation has a really unique personality. Being the devil's daughter she's very cautious, socially awkward and a bit of a loner. She doesn't want to fall in her father's footsteps. In fact, she doesn't really like him all that much. She also senses that there's something very different about her; As though she doesn't belong in Hell. I had a lot of fun with Desolation. She is very critical of herself, but you can tell that underneath it all she's a great person who is just trying to figure out where she fits in.

I really enjoyed the style of writing throughout the novel. It's very descriptive and sophisticated; I found it highly intense, and with a lot more depth than most. There are strong messages sent throughout the story about finding oneself and, most importantly, good vs evil. The intensity was a bit of a problem when it came to the theology and the myths behind the angel/demon battles. I found myself getting confused during the explanations. My only knowledge of it comes from the show Supernatural, so the elaborate lore were a bit overwhelming. I had to reread a lot of passages to get the gist. For this reason, I couldn't entirely get caught up in the story as much as I had hoped.

Despite the complexity, I still enjoyed the plot. Like i mentioned, it was very intense with a lot of action and battle sequences. I did like getting to know why Desolation was seemingly different from the others. The romance also played a big part in the story which did alleviate the seriousness throughout the book.

As an angel/demon book, don't expect this to be like the popular YA novels such as Hush Hush or Fallen. Become goes right to the core of Norse mythology: Asgard, Loki (Lucifer), Odin, Thor. But even if, like me, you don't know a lot about these myths, it's still a fun read, however I think people versed in it would absolutely enjoy it to it's full potential.

Drop by my blog on Monday (Nov. 7th) for a chance to win a paperback copy of Become: Xpresso Reads

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Become.

11/04/2011

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Micheline (new)

Micheline Oh, this looks interesting!

Giselle Oui hein. L'auteur offre une copy pour un giveaway sur mon blog lundi ;)

message 3: by Micheline (new)

Micheline Ahhhh moi faudra jme faise un google account ou qquechose pour registerer pour tes giveways...

Giselle J'ai checker pi t'es dans mes followers. Ta followé avec ton compte de Twitter. T'aura juste a me laisser un comment sur le giveaway avec ton nom/email :)

message 5: by Micheline (new)

Micheline Ahhhh...jcroyais jpouvais pa commenter sur tes choses avec twitter, jpensait ça prennait un blog ou google...lol oups :$ j'men va checker ça out!

Giselle Non tu peux commenter sans etre logger in dans rien :)

message 7: by Micheline (new)

Micheline Oui, as anonymous (duh) ça clicker this time around lol pi j'ai commenter so I'm in the running! :)

Giselle Haha awesome. I got your comment! :) It's cool when someone I actually know enters!

message 9: by Micheline (new)

Micheline I'll bet! Well now that I've figured it out, I'll enter in more often; you've read alot of books that have then made it to my 'to-read' list ;)

Giselle Great! I have more giveaways scheduled coming up in the next weeks/months. Keep an eye out! ;)

message 11: by Micheline (new)

Micheline Awesome! I will :D