Betty's Reviews > The Philip K. Dick Reader

The Philip K. Dick Reader by Philip K. Dick

Aug 07, 13

bookshelves: 2011, 2013, re-read
Read in August, 2013, read count: 2

This is a pretty uneven collection of stories. There are a few good ones but the majority end up having groan-worthy Twilight Zone style ironic twist endings, which was pretty disappointing after how much I loved A Scanner Darkly. Still worth reading for the original versions of Total Recall (We Can Remember it For You Wholesale), The Minority Report, and Paycheck (that classic Ben Affleck film). In every case the original story is much tighter and smarter than the resulting film, and definitely worth reading. The stories as a whole are soaked in Cold War era nuclear paranoia, with a lot of post-apocalyptic scenarios or body-horror mutant-human kind of stuff, which is good. The stories with a political tinge tend to be more interesting and relevant than the ones about space-men and planets of sexy women (okay, they're not quite that cliched, but there are a few pretty corny pieces).

UPDATE: Upon re-read, I'm convinced these are ordered by quality. The cheesiest are at the beginning, and they get stronger as you go. Maybe they're chronological? Anyway, I stand by the original review. Totally worth reading if you don't mind slogging through a few reeeally cliche stories to get to the good ones.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Philip K. Dick Reader.

08/01/2013 marked as: currently-reading