Kathy's Reviews > I Am the Messenger

Oct 19, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: friendship, young-adult
Read in October, 2011

I decided to try another Marcus Zusak book since I love “The Book Thief” so much. I didn’t fall in love with “I Am the Messenger” in the same way and I feel like “The Book Thief” is a far superior book, but I did enjoy this one. The story was interesting and kept me hooked. The way it was wrapped up wasn’t something I have come across before. The author has a different way with words and metaphors, which I could imagine being annoying but somehow it works and I like it a lot, as long as it’s the narrator. Here’s an example: “An expression of surprise falls from her face, though she’s trying to keep it. It breaks off and she seems to catch it and fidget with it in her hands.” On a couple of occasions when he used that way of speaking in dialogue it didn’t ring true to me. “Every morning. I see that girl—that dirt-poor, spectacular girl. Sometimes I walk to that field and sink to my knees. I hear my heart beating, but I don’t want to. I hate my heartbeat. It’s too loud in that field. It falls down. Right out of me. But then it just gets back up again.” I kind of love that paragraph, but not in dialogue between two young male friends. I just don’t believe it.

There were enough parts that didn’t quite work for me that it lowered my overall opinion a bit, but then there were also many great parts that I thoroughly enjoyed. This is a “young adult” book, written from the perspective of a 19-year-old boy, but I’d say it leans more toward the “adult” than the “young.” It does have a positive, uplifting overall message and some heartwarming stories. On top of that it was fun to read. I think Zusak is an interesting, creative author who showed a lot of growth between this book and “The Book Thief.” I expect I’ll read more by him.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am the Messenger.