Patricia's Reviews > Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No, to Take Control of Your Life

Boundaries by Henry Cloud

F 50x66
Oct 19, 2011

Read in June, 2011

I was hesitant at first to read this book because the synopsis referred to Christians and being that I am not Christian and not seeking to live a Christian lifestyle, I didn't think it would be for me. However, I did start to read the first chapter and soon discovered it was indeed for me. I may not be a Christian, however I was raised Christian therefore learned about boundaries the way Christian see them, a bit too loose and forgiving.

The book may make scripture references but not so much that it threw me off, I could easily skip over the parts that didn't resonate with me. For the most part, the book did a great job identifying our pitfalls with letting others invade our boundaries or refusing to put up any boundaries to begin with. How do people know they have crossed the line if you never drew the line? Or we keep moving the line back to avoid confrontation of a crossed line. This book covers boundaries in every part of life from personal to family to work. I know that others books were written to cover a specific aspect (like Boundaries at Work.) I found this book invaluable to me in helping me identify my lack of boundaries and how to be more assertive when others are going to violate them.

Overall an easy read with a lot of common sense information that some of us may just be in denial about.

5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boundaries.

04/25 marked as: read

message 1: by Patti (new) - added it

Patti Harris As a Christian myself, I found the problem I had with boundaries was with my church and other Christians. Don't you WANT to increase your tithe to 20% to pay of the church debt for the $1,000,000 addition we couldn't afford? But it's a Christian DUTY for us all to sign up for the Pumpkin Patch/Yard Sale/Vacation Bible School, etc. No, it's not, if I haven't the time or money or energy. Just beware, dear, of others pulling the guilt trip on you. If took me 30 years (I'm 60 now) to finally walk away and KNOW I did the right thing door myself and my family. Good luck!